Sunday, August 28, 2011

Back in the Game

Hey, ladies... hope all is well with you, especially those in Irene's path. 

I've been working on finishing up my Midsummer quilt.


I've been going block by block around the edges, finishing up the beading on each seam where I stopped short to allow a seam allowance.  Lots of sparklies!  It took me a few tries to figure out the best way to start each beading thread, since I didn't take the quilt apart to do the final bits.  I finally settled on just slipping the unknotted thread under the top layers of fabric, taking a couple of stitches hidden in a seam and starting the beading.  It worked quite well once I got the hang of it.  

I've also worked some more on the foreground along the bottom... adding more leaves on a couple of the groupings, as well as lots more beads and buttons to fill in the ground areas.  It's now laid out on my dining room table, waiting for me to gather my courage and tackle the center.  There's alot more to do on it but everything is set up so I hope to get started on it this week.  I need to finish 'cause I've got another project in the wings!

My next quilt will be based around this painting, "Meeting on the Turret Stairs."


One of the better known works of  Frederic William Burton, this watercolor was painted in 1864.  I have always loved it and when I decided my next CQ would be a piece for our bedroom, this image came to mind.  We have always been rather fascinated by the medieval era so this was a natural fit.  First I tried to decide on a design for the overall piece.  Me being me, it couldn't be a normal CQ, y'know!  ;0)  Anyway, this is the first design I came up with:


It was nice but not the size or shape I wanted... this one was next:

Ah... here we go, this is the right shape for a medieval CQ!  A little big, but much better.  Then I went looking for some heavy lace or doilies to use as inspiration... and I found this...
At approximately 16" x 22", it worked to frame the focal painting and had the added advantage of having gothic type arched corners and a tudor style flower at each end.  Oh, yes!  Now I had to adjust the overall design to accomodate this piece, like so:


And then on to this one:



And finally to this one, the final design, for now anyway:


 
This one... this one, I like!  That's all for now, but I'll be back later this week... pinky swear!  :0)

4 comments:

Allison Ann Aller said...

The progress on MidSummer's Night is awesome...and the new one is going to be so much fun to watch, too. So good to have you back!

Debra Spincic said...

You are back! Yea!! I love the new idea too.

Rian said...

Nice to see you back!! And nice to lay my eyeballs on MidSummer's Night, too.

Susan Elliott said...

Welcome back Ms. Marty Smarty!! I love the design process of a project and I've enjoyed seeing all your thoughts...that piece of linen is terrific...

So glad to be part of this adventure with you...now don't make me wait too long for post #2...My tea will get cold...xoxo Susan